Lafayette Elementary PTA has a new board member role for 2018/2019, please welcome our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion chair, Jennifer Barringer!
Jennifer Barringer (pronouns: she, her, hers) is a Lafayette parent with a background in teaching and advocating for youth and families. Her studies focused on bilingual education theory, the arts, and social justice. She has worked as an educator in Seattle and Thurston County schools, and for many years tutoring and advocating for foster youth and caregivers at Treehouse. She’s passionate about serving our community!
What is Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Lafayette?
Unconscious bias exists within each and every one of us. We hope to help recognize our unconscious bias, bring awareness to it and utilize that awareness to foster an inclusive environment for all our students, teachers, staff, volunteers, and community members at Lafayette Elementary. We recognize that each community member may have different needs in order to find success at Lafayette. We welcome all races, religions, ethnicities, countries of origin, gender identities, orientations, abilities, disabilities, and spoken languages. We welcome EVERYONE.
We strive to:
- Build community through fun, informative, inclusive, welcoming events & meet-ups.
- Bridge gaps between the school, the PTA, and families around issues pertaining to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Listen to families
- Invite inclusion
- Work with staff to evaluate practices and review materials
- Create a community board to share resources and events
- Connect with similar programs in other buildings to share ideas and build a larger community
- Provide opportunities for discussion and learning
- Share educational materials
- help achieve equitable access to our services, programs, information and community events.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
Join us! We are connecting with each other, sharing resources, discussing ideas, and working to increase our community awareness of all populations and experiences at Lafayette. We meet monthly, second Wednesdays, and are looking for your input. We would particularly welcome those who do not currently feel their voice is represented or is being heard.
Jennifer is in discussions with Ms. Nakagawa, our school librarian, to take a look at our library book selection and work to increase the diversity representation of minorities and social-emotional inclusion content in our school library.
We’re working on a survey to allow us to get a better feel for real issues effecting our families today at Lafayette. Stay tuned for how you can take that survey!
Jennifer has taken a course on “Talking to Children about Race”.
Special Education Family Support Network
- build community by organizing gatherings for SPED families to connect with others
- create awareness around special education and the benefits of inclusion
- establish a line of communication where families can share resources
- help families connect with resources or personnel to address the needs of their students
We’d like to share with you some important community events that we feel represent Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Jan 31, 6-8pm -Black Lives Matter Speakers at Gatewood Elementary, FREE event, Lafayette Community Invited at attend. Link to Flyer for more info.
- Feb 4-8 -Black Lives Matter at School Week
Inclusion Meet-Up: We aim for Second Wednesday of every month 6:30pm-8:00pm unless it conflicts with PTA meetings or other events, Uptown Espresso, 3845 Delridge Way SW, Seattle, WA 98106
- Jan 16th
- Feb 13 (Canceled Due to weather)
Mar 13 (LOCATION CHANGE; Meeting AT LAFAYETTE ELEMENTARY PTA Meeting, childcare provided, 7pm)
Apr 3 (DATE CHANGE; please note date change so as not to conflict with our school PTA meeting)
Link to SPS Family Resource web-site
Check out this book list of black girls as the main character
Black Lives Matter Week Resources by Seattle Education Association
Susan E. Borrego: Understanding My Privilege
Check out our PTA Calendar for more events: PTA Calendar
Come Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lafayetteptaseattle/
Have a suggestion? Know of a great resource to share? Please contact us! Ask us your questions, send us your experiences, share information & ideas with us, place a comment card in our box in the school lobby. Lafayette Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Email.