[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_column_text]Lafayette Elementary PTA created a new Diversity, Equity & Inclusion board member role in 2018-19.
What is Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Lafayette? Unconscious bias exists within each and every one of us. We hope to help recognize our unconscious bias, bring awareness to it and utilize that awareness to foster an inclusive environment for all our students, teachers, staff, volunteers, and community members at Lafayette Elementary. We recognize that each community member may have different needs in order to find success at Lafayette. We welcome all races, religions, ethnicities, countries of origin, gender identities, orientations, abilities, disabilities, and spoken languages. We welcome EVERYONE.
We strive to:
- Build community through fun, informative, inclusive, welcoming events and meet-ups.
- Bridge gaps between the school, the PTA, and families around issues pertaining to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Listen to families.
- Invite inclusion.
- Work with staff to evaluate practices and review materials.
- Create a community board to share resources and events.
- Connect with similar programs in other buildings to share ideas and build a larger community.
- Provide opportunities for discussion and learning.
- Share educational materials.
- help achieve equitable access to our services, programs, information and community events.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee. Join us! We are connecting with each other, sharing resources, discussing ideas, and working to increase our community awareness of all populations and experiences at Lafayette. We meet monthly and are looking for your input. We would particularly welcome those who do not currently feel their voice is represented or is being heard.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee Meeting Minutes
Special Education Family Support Network. The Special Education Family Support Network is a volunteer school-based family support program made up of parents within our school with children in our Special Education program. Parent Volunteer Carola Eguiagaray currently serves as our Special Education Parent Liaison. As liaison, Carola will provide a ‘parent-oriented’ point of connection between schools, district, and PTA. Within the Lafayette community her overall role is to help support families, students, and staff within the special education program at Lafayette Elementary to create best outcomes for students. This year we hope to:
- Build community by organizing gatherings for SPED families to connect with others
- Create awareness around special education and the benefits of inclusion
- Establish a line of communication where families can share resources
- Help families connect with resources or personnel to address the needs of their students
- Snow Route Request for SPS Door-to-Door Service
- Link to SPS Family Resource web-site
- Check out this book list of black girls as the main character
- Black Lives Matter Week Resources by Seattle Education Association
- Susan E. Borrego: Understanding My Privilege
- Dr Andrea Boyles: Microaggressions
- Black Lives Matter Talk To Children
- Black Lives Matter Info