Seattle Public Schools, in conjunction with the City of Seattle – Department of Education and Early Learning, will open five childcare sites focused on providing services to families of first responders and medical staff.
The five sites, expected to begin serving kindergarten through 5th grade students on April 6, 2020, will be established in SPS schools in as-yet-unspecified locations near area hospitals.
At each site:
- hours are 7 a.m.-7 p.m., Monday through Friday;
- staffing is structured to provide full childcare service for families;
- space is limited to 10 classrooms, with one adult assigned to nine children in each classroom;
- meal service will be provided each
In addition to providing meals, SPS is also covering the custodial, administrative and other support staff costs.
SPS is working directly with hospitals and first responders to enroll students.
Additional childcare resources
In addition to the five sites providing childcare specifically for medical personnel and first responders, more pre-school and elementary school age childcare options are available at other SPS sites, in partnership with community childcare organizations.
These additional sites also provide services for families of first responders and medical staff, as well as other essential industry employees and specific groups with need:
- grocery and pharmacy staff;
- childcare workers;
- essential SPS staff;
- students experiencing homelessness;
- children of families qualified for the free and reduced meal
More information about childcare options can be found on the SPS website at https://www.seattleschools.org/district/calendars/news/what_s_new/coronavirus_update/res ources/child_care.
The website will, as soon as possible, include details on the locations of the five SPS/DEEL childcare locations, as well as all other childcare-related updates.