All applications are due Sept. 23, 2019 to determine eligibility for school year 2020-21.
This year’s window for parent referrals for K-8 students currently enrolled at Seattle Public Schools is May 15 through Sept. 23, 2019 to determine eligibility for school year 2020-21. Non-SPS and private school referrals will accepted starting Aug. 1 through Sept. 23, 2019.
Applications for students in grades 9-12 will be available in January.
How to Submit a Parent Referral
Referring a student online is easy and can even be done on your smart phone! Simply access your parent or guardian account on The Source.
Once you login to your parent or guardian Source account, click on the “Advanced Learning Parent Referral” button to start the referral process.
Need help? Contact the advanced learning team.
The Advanced Learning Office works to identify students who might benefit from accelerated learning options and environments that support creative and critical thinking. Advanced learners come from all kinds of backgrounds, and no two advanced learners look or behave the same. Advanced learners might demonstrate any number of the following:
- the ability to see relationships and make connections between topics,
- appear shy or bored,
- ability to “code switch” and think in more than one language,
- sometimes struggle to follow directions.
Read more about identifying students as potentially gifted.
What if I think my student might be an advanced learner?
If your student is in grades K-8, you must submit a referral. A student can only be tested and considered for eligibility once a parent/guardian submits a referral. There is still time to submit a referral for the 2019-2020 school year: the referral window is currently open and closes on Monday, September 23 at 5:00PM.
You can submit a referral one of two ways:
- Paper referral: Office staff at every elementary school have referral folders available and translated into nine different languages. The office staff will be able to assist you in completing and submitting a paper referral. Middle school families should contact Advanced Learning directly at 206-252-0130.
- Online referral: To begin the referral process, you must log in to your account on the Source, and click on the “Advanced Learning” button and follow the instructions provided. If you have trouble accessing the Source, please email sourcesupport@
seattleschools.org. about identifying students as potentially gifted.
If you have questions, please contact our Care Team at advlearning@seattleschools.